|Title||St. John's Branch of Women's Auxiliary of St. Bartholomews|
|Scope & Content||This collection contains meeting minutes and miscellaneous records of the St. John's Branch of the Women's Auxiliary of St. Bartholemew's Parish Episcopal Church. Meeting minutes are for the periods 1898-1908 and 1938-1945; papers are for 1923-1926 and 1945-1948.|
St. Bartholomew's Parish, also referred to as the Hawlings River congregation, was created in 1812, and a small church was completed in 1815. The present church in Laytonsville was completed in 1910. Parishioners included members of the Gaither, Griffiths, Hutton, Walker, Gittings, families. According to the parish website, "Between 1820 and 1832, the only period before the Civil War for which records of non-white baptisms seem to have been recorded, the parish's register listed more baptisms of blacks, most of them enslaved, than of whites."
Sources: (1) "Milestones in the History of St. Bartholomew's Parish," St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church website, accessed at http://saintbartholomews.org/?page_id=4428; (2) "The Early African Americans of St. Bartholomew's Church: Our African Heritage," St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church websites, accessed at http://saintbartholomews.org/?page_id=4436.
|Collection||Clubs and Organizations|
|Access Conditions||This collection is open for research.|
Clubs and Organizations