|Title||First Baptist Church of Rockville|
|Scope & Content||This collection contains records of proceedings (1821-1837, 1851-1915), membership and donation lists (1821-1898), and papers of the church clerk, Clifford H. Robertson (1910-1916) for the Bethel Baptist Church (First Baptist Church of Rockville).|
The Bethel Baptist Church was established in 1821 by members of the Old Seneca Baptist Church. Joseph H. Jones was the first pastor, and the church building was erected in 1823, facing Jefferson Street. In 1863, the church was incorporated as The Baptist Church at Rockville, Maryland. Notable members of the Church includes Samuel Clark Veirs, who operated Veirs Mill, and other members of the Veirs family. In 1971, the Church sold its Jefferson Street property and erected a modern church on Adclare Road. Most of the Old Baptist Cemetery still remains on the old property.
Source: Maryland Historical Trust State Historic Inventory Form, dated September 1984.
|Access Conditions||This collection is open for research.|